How Much Time is required for Dental Implant?
There are several measures that will directly or indirectly determine the length of the recovery time needed for an implant procedure. They are:
- Your dental health
- The number of teeth involved
- Which teeth are replaced
- If there will be a tooth extracted prior to implant placement
Is the Treatment Painful?
Most patients say that they were much more comfortable following the procedure than they had expected. Your doctor will prescribe medications to ease any discomfort that may occur.
Will I Be Given Any Special Instructions to Prepare for Surgery?
- Rinse your mouth with an anti-bacterial mouthwash, such as chlorhexidine.
- Prescribing antibiotics to take for a few days prior to surgery as a preventative measure.
- Asking you to eat a good breakfast on the day of surgery. If you’ve didn’t planned to have the surgery under IV sedation, you would not be eating anything after midnight the night before surgery.
- Having someone available to bring you to the appointment and drive you home if you elected to take an oral sedative or have I.V. sedation.
Your new dental implant tooth must be cared for and checked regularly, just like your natural teeth. Brush and floss the implant tooth as recommended by your dentist or dental hygienist. See your dentist every six months, or more frequently if so advised.
What Happens After Surgery?
Immediately after waking from the chair, a patient may feel:
- Pressure or discomfort over his (or her) implanted ear
- Sick to the stomach (have nausea)
- Disoriented or confused for a while
- A sore throat for a while from the breathing tube used during general anesthesia
What Instructions Will I Receive?
In general, for 24 hours after your anesthesia:
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages or use nonprescription medications.
- Do not drive a car or operate dangerous machinery.
- Do not make important decisions.
To find out how tooth implants in Sydney can restore your smile, and what you might need to do to prepare for successful implant surgery, contact Dental Implant Professionals!